Hooray! If there is one thing Filipinos are well known for, it is their musical talent. This sometimes make me doubt if I were really a Filipino, because I’m awful with the mic. I just can’t carry a tune. It’s no surprise when Filipino choirs won prizes at the recently concluded “2013 Yeosu International Choir Competition and Festival”.
The YICC was held in Yeosu from June 11~17 with the theme “Songs of Ocean, Songs of Joy”. A total of 140,000 USD or 1.45 million won was rewarded to the winners. 68 teams from 8 countries participated with the Grand Prize going to the choir from the United States – University of Louisville Cardinal Singers.
The Filipino choirs that won in the competition are:
– Mixed Choir – UST Singers (2nd Prize) and Imusicapella (3rd Prize)
– Children’s – Muntinlupa Vocal Ensemble (2nd Prize)
– Folk music, Negro spiritual and gospel choir – Imusicapella (2nd Prize) and UST Singers (3rd Prize)
– Sacred music choir – Imusicapella and UST Singers (both 3rd Prizes)
– Pop and Jazz – UST Singers and Coro Tomasina (both 3rd Prizes)
Congratulations to the winners and you make us proud! How I wish I could just see a choir competition someday! I bet I’ll get goosebumps several times ;p