Korean comfort food: Kalbi-tang

When I met some new friends from the Philippines last July, we accidentally discovered a restaurant serving good kalbi-tang in Seoul. “Kalbi-tang” or “beef rib soup” is one of my comfort food. I’ll be posting a list of my fave Korean food soon! Kalbi-tang is beef rib boiled for hours until soft. Its soup is flavored with soy sauce, jujube, gingko nut, garlic, cabbage,glass noodles and garnished with strips of fried egg on to. It kinda reminds me of “nilagang baka” except that the former has no potatoes.

The best “kalbi-tang” I’ve had by far is in a restaurant in Cheorwon (about 1 1/2 hours north of Seoul). I couldn’t find the picture of that beef rib soup but I remember how I felt when I first tasted it. Think Ego in the movie “Ratatouille” when he visited Gustav’s.

The weather newscaster tonight said that it’s going to be like early winter next week. Just the perfect time for a steaming bowl of “kalbi-tang”. I might just visit the restaurant again that is located somewhere in Dongdaemun! I can’t even recall the name of the restaurant. An order of kalbi-tang there is 7,000 won but it’s soooo filling and it’s filled with pieces of beef. I could finish a whole bowl, but if one is on a diet then better check the food intake or read about alli side effects. ;p

Anyway, I’m looking forward for a bowl of steaming kalbi-tang hopefully when we revisit Cheorwon. In the meantime, I’ll just be satisfied with this picture:

18 thoughts on “Korean comfort food: Kalbi-tang

• October 23, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Hello Ms.B, I’ve read an old post of yours back in Nov.2009 and someone also asked you this question “What is the salary enough to have an average quality of life in Korea?” I’m considering studying there po kasi kaya I’ve started collecting information as much as I can. An order of Kalbi-tang for 7000 won is reasonable na po or that is common price for being special meal?? I lived in Japan for quite some time, so I guess I should use the prices there as comparison to food prices in Korea, Housing/Fastfood/fare…etc.. I hope that you could make a separate post for this one.The latest one. If you just only have a time, and I wish that you would have. I will wait for it. Thank you so much in advance. More power and God Bless!

• October 23, 2010 at 9:39 pm

sarap san yan?mpuntahan nga syempre minus zach dhil dami tao sa dongdaemun…hahahaha

• October 25, 2010 at 10:40 pm

haaay… sana makasama ako, hahaha…

nong first trim ko galbi tang, seollongtang and tteokbegi bulgogi (tama ba?) lang nakakain ko..

• October 26, 2010 at 12:41 am

gung jung tteokbokki? yung hindi mapula?

perfect time na kumain ng galbitang, seollongtang, gomgoritang… hehehe

• October 24, 2010 at 5:40 pm

ansarap! let’s go kain tayo ng galbi tang sa dongdaemun.. ^^:PPP

• October 25, 2010 at 9:54 am

sure! babalikan ko nga yung galbi-tang dun… sarap talaga!

• October 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm

wow. curious na po tuloy ako sa kalbi tang na ‘yan. pwede po ba sumama sa inyo, kailan po kayo pupunta? ^^

• October 26, 2010 at 12:46 am

sure! mag-set kaya tayo ng tour… walking tour ha… maganda kasi sa samcheondong pag fall

• October 25, 2010 at 4:53 pm

wanna cook it asap. does anyone have a recipe in eng?

• October 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Wow, kalbi-tang! Favorite ko yan!

• October 26, 2010 at 12:41 am

One of the best Korean dishes, di ba?!

• October 26, 2010 at 3:05 pm

parang kamuka ng kalbi-tang ung nilaga di ba? ^^ WOW! I want to visit korea talaga T.T

• October 26, 2010 at 10:14 pm

oo kamukha nga… yun nga lang may jujube, pine nuts at glass noodles ang kalbitang

• May 25, 2012 at 7:50 am

Here’s a galbi tang recipe I found on about.com:

2 lb English-cut beef short ribs, cut into 2 inch squares
    1/2 large Korea radish or 2 Chinese white radish, peeled and cut into 1 inch slices
    4 oz sweet potato or glass noodles (dangmyun)
    2 tsp salt
    2 scallions, sliced into 1 inch pieces
    For the seasoning sauce:
    3 Tbsp soy sauce
    2 tsp sesame oil
    4 cloves garlic, sliced
    1 Tbsp minced garlic
    1 tsp finely ground pepper
    Optional seasoning:
    kochukaru (chili powder)

Preparation:

Soak the ribs in a bowl of cold water for about 1-2 hours to drain the blood, changing the water a couple times.
    Mix sliced radish with seasoning sauce.
    Place the ribs in a pot and cover with new water.
    Bring to a boil and simmer vigorously for 5 minutes.
    Remove ribs from pot and rinse any scum/oil off in cold water.
    In a large pot, cover ribs with 4 cups of new water.
    Bring to a boil, and then simmer over high heat for 30 minutes.
    Add the seasoned radish and the salt and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
    Add the noodles and cook for another 4 minutes.
    Add the sliced scallions and cook for another 1 minute.

• November 20, 2014 at 8:10 am

You should try the galbi tang recipe on maangchi’s blog with the thin egg strips. I made it last week and I’m making it again tonight. It’s so delicious especially when it’s cold out!

• November 20, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Thanks! I actually prefer 이밥차’s recipe when it comes to Korean food.