Free daycare for multicultural kids

Too bad that my son is turning 6 (Korean age) next year. A hot topic in our family last Chuseok is the announcement that multicultural kids (kids of Korean and a foreign parent) will receive full subsidy on daycare starting next year.

The government announced Thursday that a total of 28,000 multicultural children will be the beneficiary of free daycare services from their birth until they reach five. Regardless of income level, their parents can receive a state subsidy to enroll their kids in daycare centers. This is a major departure from the current policy. As of now, only multicultural parents whose monthly income is below 2.58 million are eligible to benefit from the welfare program.

Excerpt from “Multicultural Kids

There is already a partial daycare subsidy for children of low-income families. Last year, we applied for the said subsidy, called “i-Sarang”. We had to fill-up the four paged application form along with financial documents. Unfortunately, we were not accepted into the program.

Next year when the full subsidy on daycare becomes in effect, my son would be six-yr old in Korean age and we might not also benefit from that subsidy. We don’t really need dole-outs but we could save the money we pay for daycare.

11 thoughts on “Free daycare for multicultural kids

• September 25, 2010 at 9:51 pm

interesting and good timing for me and little zach…being back in the work force next year is not such a bad idea now

• September 27, 2010 at 11:12 am

Seonggyu was 27 months when he entered day care but it was just about four to five hours three times a week for five months. By the time I worked full time (on his sixth month and he stayed at the day care for 8 hours), his attitude changed. He was cranky most of the time and he was really quiet. I quit that full time job and he was back to four hours a day at the day care. I returned to work again in July, after coming back from a month’s vacation in the US. He was already three years old that time and has adjusted well.

Train Zach first to get used to the day care setting so he won’t be shocked if you work full time.

• September 25, 2010 at 11:35 pm

good news nga eto… from our recent get together, i realized that importante din pala alamin yung programs for multicultural families ng lugar na lilipatan nyo, ano? like here, they don’t have korean language lessons and they can’t accommodate those requesting for tutors, lalo buntis ako.. sayang.. samantalang sa bupyeong non kami pa tinatawagan kung gusto ko daw ba ng tutor… haaayyy…

• September 27, 2010 at 11:05 am

That’s true Jehan. Just like the English teacher training of married immigrants that’s available in Gyeonggi-do but not in Seoul. Another is the rice subsidy we get here in Seoul that is not available in other areas. Or the no-interest loan that we could take advantage of.

• November 30, 2010 at 1:50 pm

wow. madami palang ibinibigay na benefits for multicultural families.

• December 5, 2010 at 11:08 am

Hi, I am a foreigner and I am currently pregnant – the dad is Korean but we are not in any kind of relationship and have no contact. I will travel back to my home country to give birth and then I would like to return to Korea with my child and work again. Would I be able to benefit from this kind of daycare as well or not since I am not married and the child will not be born in Korea?

• December 6, 2010 at 10:52 am

Hi! As far as I know, unless you are legally married to his Korean dad he won’t be able to get this benefit.

• January 4, 2011 at 8:52 pm

We heard about this from our friends and we checked out the korea times ourselves. We’re so glad to hear about this! I didnt even know that they have programs for multicultural families. My husband is canadian and i’m a filipina. our daughter is 2yrs old american age.

Just a quick question. How do we avail of this benefit? We’ve been paying so much for her daycare. arghh..Hope you guys can help. thanks! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• January 4, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Hi bless! As far as I know, “multicultural” families in Korean context means Korean and foreign spouses. If your husband is not Korean, you are not considered “multicultural” but I could be wrong though.

• February 12, 2012 at 11:48 pm

how and where can we ask for this support?thanks po

• February 13, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Hi pottershandclay! Pwede kang mag-ask sa “dong samuso” or check http://www.childcare.go.kr
      I will post more info about this in the coming days.