Highway vendor

image

We’re currently stuck in traffic, driving at 13kph. We’re at the Seo Hae Expressway on the way to our first destination, Ammyeondo. The traffic is just so slow that vendors are conveniently selling in the highway. A sight I used to see in the Philippines. Not only in the Philippines anymore.

This is such a dangerous job that I hope the vendors at least have a health savings account. After all, they are exposed to the pollution that comes out from the vehicles. And in this summer heat, they also need to protect their skin. Oh well, an opportunity to sell is an opportunity to earn money.

10 thoughts on “Highway vendor

• August 1, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I’ve watched the k-drama “Boys over Flowers” and there is a part where Jandi is selling rice cake in the highway diba? so that’s a rice cake din po ba??? *curious lang* what are they’re selling on the road? do blind people begging on the subway trains are a common sight in sk??
    i just read in some article about Korean culture, they said that Koreans are so status conscious, that even if your parents is in a laundry service, they are driving a good car..

• August 3, 2010 at 8:19 pm

ako hindi ko napanood BOF. hehehe. kaya hindi ko alam yang scene na yan..

• August 4, 2010 at 11:23 am

Yeah, it reminded me of BOF too. I thought that scene was just fictional for Koreans. It does happen in real life in Korea pala..

I think they were selling rice crackers?

• August 7, 2010 at 7:40 pm

hello, I’ve been following your blog for a while now but only managed to leave a comment just now. I’d be dropping by more often for sure. Your blog is great!

• August 11, 2010 at 5:51 pm

This is only common in Korea when there is a big traffic jam. Normally yung mga vendors na yan may mga dala ring sasakyan at dun nakalagay yung mga korean rice pop nila.

But this is not common sight anywhere else, I have never seen this kind of vendors at all on a regular traffic.

• August 12, 2010 at 10:56 am

That’s true, but you can find them along the road to and from Chuncheon on a weekend. That stretch of highway is just too busy on Saturdays and Sundays!

• August 16, 2010 at 1:42 am

I haven’t seen something like this in years… very rare sight, if not existing, here in Canada. I used to be very alert of these people ’cause in the Philippines they are potentially dangerous.

I’d imagine if we had these in Canada, they would be accepting credit cards too~~ nobody brings more than CA$5 (KR₩6; PH₱220) with them.