Seoul National Cemetery

On the day of Korea’s Harvest Festival (Chuseok), my husband and I accompanied his parents to the Seoul National Cemetery. My father-in-law (FIL) wanted to pay his respects to his uncle, a soldier who died during the Korean War. It was only the second time that I went to the Cemetery. The first one was in August 2005 during my mother’s second visit to Korea.

Seoul National Cemetery is located in Dongjak-dong, near Dongjak-gyo (Dongjak Bridge). It is accessible by subway lines 4 and 9. The graves of the First President of the Republic of Korea, Rhee Syngman, can be found here. Other Presidents are also buried here: Park Chung Hee and Kim Dae Jung.

On my first visit, we went to President Park Chung Hee’s memorial. This time, we tried to go to President Kim Dae Jung’s tomb, but it wasn’t opened to the public yet. There was a tent set-up near the tomb where visitors can bow and write on the memorial book.

Seoul National Cemetery is so huge that I was thankful we were able to bring the car. The place is divided into sections to make it easier to find the tomb of a loved one among the multitude of tombstones inside the memorial park.

I don’t exactly know how many are buried or are remembered at the National Cemetery. All I know is that when I was at my husband’s granduncle’s tomb, on my left, right and back are all reminders of those who had sacrificed their lives for the sake of the nation.

^^ back

^^ left

^^ to my right with a view of Seoul N Tower

The Cemetery is well maintained and on a holiday like Chuseok, flowers are placed at the side of every tombstone.

P.S. When I was in high school, I and my classmates would visit La Pieta Cemetery in Angeles City. There we would scare each other with ghost stories.

14 thoughts on “Seoul National Cemetery

• November 24, 2009 at 5:44 pm

are koreans so obsessed with cleanliness that not a speck of litter could be seen from the pix. donker-donker (don’t care) attitude when it comes to cleanliness prompted hongkong authorities at one time to prohibit filipinos from gathering at one place, certainly koreans are admirable.

• November 25, 2009 at 10:22 am

Not all places in Seoul are this clean. I guess it’s because this is a “sacred” place that it has to be kept really clean.

• November 25, 2009 at 11:02 am

Very different from our cemeteries here. I never go to cemeteries, but i could visit this one if were there.

• November 25, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Hi Jha! An equivalent cemetery in the Philippines would be the “Libingan ng mga Bayani” where our war heroes and past presidents are buried.

• November 25, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Hi Angel! You’re right, that’s a bottle of soju and a roll of kimbap. Food offering.

• November 25, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Very nice! Playing in or around a columbarium as a kid really interests me in these kind of places. They are just so quiet… so peaceful…
    .-= eden´s last blog ..This is it! A wake up call… =-.

• November 27, 2009 at 5:15 am

OMG! You’re from Angeles? I’m from there too! ^^

Cemetery there looks serene… dito looks really haunted and scary. Haha! XD
    .-= rich´s last blog ..Thanksgiving =-.

• November 28, 2009 at 11:31 am

I do not know how much nationalistic is the Korean compared to Filipino Nationalism. I am thinking that their own civil wars teach them the lesson that is why they have better economy today.

In our country, many professionals are disappointed with our government long time ago and that when the national anthem was sung during Paquiao latest fight, non of the 2000 viewers cheers for the country’s song while Puerto Rican and American take pride in their anthem.
    .-= arnold´s last blog ..CALL CENTER OUTSOURCING: A TOOL IN ENHANCING BUSINESS EFFICIENCY =-.

• Pingback: Korean Holiday: Memorial Day (59th) - Buhay sa Korea