The battle of Korean cosmetics shops!

After sending a package in Gwanghwamun post office last week, I decided to take a walk along Cheonggyecheon (Cheonggye stream). It was near lunchtime when I decided to go to Myeongdong and look for something to eat. I really wanted to have the kalguksu (hand made noodles) that one shop in Myeongdong is famous for. However, the place was packed full of people and there was snake-like line outside. That’s how famous the place is!

When I passed by “It’s Skin” – a Korean cosmetics shop – I noticed that they have a new endorser aside from Erik Mun. I thought Kim Bum looked really cute on the posters outside the shop! Across that store is Tony Moly (or was it Etude House?) where another Boys Over Flowers member is an endorser.

There are a number of Korean cosmetics brands and shops that it seems almost every popular Hallyu or Korean wave star is endorsing a brand.

Missha is currently being endorsed by Kim Hye Soo. They had Jang Dong Gun before. He is now with Hera Homme.

Bae Yong Joon is now the “face” of The Face Shop. Kwon Sang Woo was their main endorser before he got married.

I remember Hyun Bin once endorsed “Skin Food”. Was Won Bin with Etude then? Moon Geun Yeong is still the face of “Innisfree.” Can’t remember who it is for “Beauty Credit.” Hah! There’re really so many cosmetics shops in Korea.

Amore Pacific, as far as I know, leads the cosmetics industry in South Korea. Sulhwasoo, is their best brand. It’s also the brand I’d like to have but couldn’t afford (well, I could afford it but my conscience is telling me not until I’m earning my own money!). Among their other endorsers are Jeon Ji Hyun (who is apparently Chinese) for Laneige. The product is now being endorsed by Song Hye Gyo. Kim Tae Hee is co-endorsing Hera with Jang Dong Gun (Hera Homme). Lee Na Young was with IOPE – not sure if she’s still with that brand. Their brands are sold in Aritaum (cosmetics shop) and department stores.

The Korean word for cosmetics is ν™”μž₯ν’ˆ or hwa-jang-pum.

^^ Erik Mun and Kim Bum for “It’s Skin”

^^ Lee Min Ho for “Etude House”

^^ Kim Hyun Joong for “Tony Moly”

^^ Bae Yong Joon for “The Face Shop”

^^ Bi or Rain for “Nature Republic”

The shops above are all in Myeongdong (and in other parts of Seoul and other cities in Korea!) Some of them have two or more stores in the area. (I’m currently watching “Tayong Dalawa” as I’m writing this. The Asian Conqueror, who has a nice blog on Korea, also watches that show πŸ˜‰

37 thoughts on “The battle of Korean cosmetics shops!

• April 21, 2009 at 4:55 pm

I love the one I bought from faceshop in Korea. Slim and Lift Emulsion and Plus 1 Lip Balm-Sensitive. I have been using the moisutizer for 4 months now and I like it so much.

Too bad I have to throw it away last week because I forgot to put it in my check-in baggage. Lesson learned: double check items in your hand carry.

• April 21, 2009 at 9:16 pm

TVXQ even opened their own franchise of CreaBeau(spelling?)

• April 22, 2009 at 6:54 pm

hi ms bechay! πŸ™‚ i have been a reader of you blog for almost 3 months now πŸ™‚ Filipino rin po ako πŸ™‚

i just came back from Korea and i shopped in MyeongDong πŸ™‚ hehe. i took a pic with the lee min ho poster, the f4 member, at Etude. haha! πŸ™‚ i remember, natural republic has a sale the day i went there.

ask ko lang po, ano po ang sa tingin nio na pinakaeffective na cosmetic shop sa korea? πŸ™‚ i bought stuffs in face shop, kasi mas kilala ko po yung brand since mayron ng face shop sa Pinas.

Thanks so much po and more power!! πŸ™‚

• April 22, 2009 at 9:14 pm

hi MheAnn! i think a lot of those who’d tried Skin Food are satisfied with their products… as for Korean cosmetics, I really like Sulhwasoo but it’s really pricey… i tried it before (courtesy of my sis-in-law) and it’s really the best!

• April 22, 2009 at 10:57 pm

wow, that’s some huge marketing. it must be hard to decided where and which shop to go to.

kaynis last blog post..An Old Rivalry

• April 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm

hello! exchange student kami ngayon dito at walking distance lang kami sa myeongdong pero di pa kami marunong maghaggle! haha be going there tom! πŸ˜€

• May 12, 2009 at 6:23 pm

hi dear

can i rewrite your artikel on my blog

thanks

• July 28, 2009 at 6:53 am

anneyong hasaeyo — i really enjoy your blog, it’s one of the best i’ve seen! can you tell me if it’s true that most Koreans or women in particular are quite into plastic surgery of sorts? i really admire their skin and even the male counterpart are also smooth-skinned texture as i’ve seen in most Korean dramas, for example, Kwon Sang woo’s skin is looking flawless so in other words I’m very impressed with the way Korean people look after their skin! By the way, I recommend your blog to my friends & relatives so you can expect more readers & replies to your articles would be coming in the future!

• September 9, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I am so amaze with the cosmetics products of thefaceshop. Do you know if they are selling their products on line?

• September 10, 2009 at 12:13 am

hi jean! they do sell online, but only in korea

• September 22, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Hi! I’m looking for Korean supplier of Cosmetics and Skin Care Products. Are you up for the plan? I will buy in bulk items. Please hit me a mail. Thank you πŸ™‚

• October 2, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Betchay,
    Do you know of any Korean teenagers cosmetics brands?

• October 7, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Hi again Ms. Betchay, I am presently here in Ansan Korea and will be going home na sa Pinas on Oct 12. I’ve already visited a lot of cosmetic shops (with my ever patient hubby/interpreter/currency converter) here looking for pasalubong sa officemates ko. I am having a hard time actually kase super dami ng choices. I’ve bought some na din from Missha, Etude House, Faceshop & Skin Food. I must admit na cheaper talaga ang price dito compared sa Manila and there’s lots of freebies pa. Thanks again for your blog.

• October 7, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Ate Betchay ang The History of Hu (Lee Young Ae) and yung O Hui ang na-try ko since I came here. Until now gamit ko pa rin and NAPAKAGANDA NG RESULT sa skin ko. Smooth and crystal clear ang effect. Mahal nga lang po talaga lalo na yung kulay red (ginseng).

Hindi ko po pagpapalit yung brand na yun kasi it really works for me.

• October 8, 2009 at 9:01 am

hi Jillian! I think Korean premium brands are good. Most of the Koreans I know with really clear skin don’t use Skinfood and the other more commercialized brands. Mahal naman kasi ang premium brands nila eh.

• October 7, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Hi Jillian! I heard na ang THE HISTORY OF HU is the most expensive Korean cosmetic. Hindi mo daw to mabibili sa mga Korean shops na mkikita sa daan. You need to go daw sa mga Dept. Stores to purchase it (yun ay kung may budget). O HUI is also one of the best.

It’s too pricey but the best brand in Korea. Yaman mo siguro. Hehehe πŸ˜‰ Kidding!

Ms. Betchay I heard from my sister that Amore Pacific products are not really good. Most of the Koreans prefer O HUI and The History of HU.

• October 8, 2009 at 8:58 am

Hi James! Sulwhasoo is a top brand and it’s comparable (according to Korean beauty experts) to Chanel when it comes to quality. I tried the product before and it’s really really really good!

I haven’t tried O Hui, but I’m always tempted whenever they have a sale. Kaso by the time gusto ko na bumili eh tapos na ang sale πŸ˜› The problem with some Korean brands, especially the makeup, is that they’re made for Korean women. And they are (majority) fairer than us. They’re skin tone is a little bit different from ours.

• October 21, 2009 at 3:05 am

Hi Ms Betchay,

I was trying to find out the prices of tonymoly products(Premium sprout Toner, Egg cleansing foam, Berry berry whitening sleeping pack) & laneige(strawberry yogurt pack & gel, water sleeping pack) products but without much luck. Is there any website to recommend?

Good day ahead!

• October 24, 2009 at 10:29 am

Hi! Filipina din ako at nakatira ako sa Houston, Texas. Have you heard the brand “Enprani”? A Korean cosmetics store here said it is the top of the line. Can you please clarify this. And if it is not the top of the line, can you suggest a good brand or can you tell me what is the top of the line? Looking forward to your reply. Salamat po.

• October 24, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Hi Liza! They said Sulwasoo is a top brand others said The History of Woo or O HUI is on the top. The latter is what I prefer. It’s comparable to CHANEL, LANCOME, etc. The History of Woo and O hui is not available in a small market because they had been targeting international market so it’s only available in Department stores and airport beauty shops worldwide. But Sulwasoo could be seen anywhere even on a small store. Last winter I visited my sister in Germany. When I arrived on the Amsterdam airport, I was so surprised when I saw a Korean cosmetic (The history of Woo and O HUI) on the airport and Sulwasoo couldn’t be seen there. My sister also brought me to Switzerland and IT is also available there. Sulwasoo is also pricey like the HISTORY OF WOO AND O HUI. Quality wise the latter is the best. Koreans loved it and so do I. My aunt who is married to an engineer working in HYUNDAI for almost 8 years now, has friends (elite)who prefer THE HISTORY OF WOO rather than Sulwasoo. Amore pacific has a lot of beauty products. You’ll be confused of which is the best. Sulwasoo, HERA, etc. They’re all the same.

But LG cosmetic developed a more advance technology on cosmetic products. THE HISTORY OF WOO AND O HUI are the leading Korean Cosmetic nowadays. As I mentioned on previous post my aunt’s face is very beautiful (crystal clear) so smooth. She’s already 42 but her skin is like 20’s. Imagine she didnt even undergone surgeries before. I always says, “Wow! You look amazing!” She just smile at me. She’s beautiful as ever. πŸ˜‰

So my aunt enouraged me to use LG cosmetics. The result so far is good. I am using HOMME (for men.

ENPRANI is not so popular. It’s like any other brand here. “Pangkanto” kung baga. Try THE HISTORY OF WOO that’s for women. Being endorsed by Lee Young Ae. It’s quiet expensive but worth buying for. Try and you’ll never regret it.

• October 24, 2009 at 3:17 pm

OKAY! πŸ˜‰

• October 24, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Prestige ν™”μž₯ν’ˆμΈ 였휘(OHUI)와 더 ν›„(The history of Whoo)

• January 1, 2010 at 8:24 pm

IMHO, VCO could replace all those cosmetic products. I’ve been religiously using it both orally and topically. Though I’m not transformed one bit closer to becoming Kim Beom, it has yielded results far better than a 20,000 won serum. Can I buy VCO in Korea?
    .-= Elliot´s last blog ..Teaching in an International School =-.

• June 21, 2010 at 2:13 am

The History of Whoo is amazing! Let me tell you how amazing their Whitening line is! They even use GOLD in the men’s line, umm AMAZING haha! It is very advanced!

Sulwhasoo is also amazing. I have tried many of their products and cannot describe it to anything. I highly recommend these two brands in Korea. I don’t care if its expensive, if you want to take care of your skin, you buy the best!!! Results SHOW and I am in love with Korean cosmetics!

Thank you for taking this time to write this blog, much love!!! <3

• September 18, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I really loved to trawl up all hwa jang pum stores!~

• September 23, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I tried AC Clinical Solution Spot Control from It’s Skin, Korea. It actually fixed my pimple problem after trying all-known brands in singapore. I used it overnight and my pimples are all dried up.

• October 9, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Hi, Ms. Betchay. How r u?
    I’m looking for a supplier to sell korean cosmetics at indonesia?
    Could you help me to find a supplier that can help me to buy and ship it to indonesia?
    Or maybe u interesting to be a supplier?
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Thank You.

• January 23, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Jeon Ji Hyun is not Chinese, despite all these rumours about her being Chinese or having a Chinese parent. The confusion started from her real surname being Hwang, which is normally a Chinese surname. People should honestly refrain from making such comments which sound almost detrimental to the point of ruining her career, especially where in South Korea, one’s nationality or heritage is an aspect of one’s pride.

• May 1, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Jeon Ji Hyun is KOREAN, not Chinese.

• October 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Nature Republic opened today at Festival mall in alabang. I bought morning fruits blueberry body lotion, cherry blossom mask sheet, rice mask and I got a free peach foam cleanser! The prices are relatively cheap. πŸ™‚

• October 22, 2011 at 11:24 pm

My husband recently went to Korea. He bought Esthemed BB Professional Whitening/UV Protecting from Dream Cosme store.

What do you think of the product and the store where he bought it from?

Available ba ito sa Manila and how much kaya ito dito? Thanks.

• October 11, 2012 at 8:42 pm

you should also try laneige…high end and long lasting, seems very safe on skin too

• November 19, 2014 at 1:20 am

Hello everybody! I’m finding a prestige cosmetic wholesale in Korea, can you help me some prestige wholesale and have high discount? Thank you so much!!!