민방위훈련 Civil defense drill

1. cher says:

i know it’s supposed to be held every month, but i haven’t heard the siren for the longest time(none for january and february…..and i can’t even remember the last time they had it last year!)so i freaked out!Plus the current threats made by north korea made it more nerve wracking……kkkkk.anyway, living in uijeongbu made it more stressful for me, there are military camps in almost every corner in uijeongbu….yikes!

chers last blog post..Panic Attack

2. Eden says:

Ate what’s the current status na ba between north and south K?

Edens last blog post..Sake Bombs

3. Eden says:

Ate what’s the current status na ba between north and south K?

4. arvinsign says:

Here’s the scenario.

Within 5-10 minutes after a North Korean attack (either conventional or nuclear), South Korea is still South Korea. While North Korea will be erased from the map and blown to smithereens. So no worries.

• Juwon Kwak says:

I don’t think that is the case. N Korean army is within the 10th rank of the military power. Their weapons are old, but they have good cannons that can reach Northern part of Seoul. Korean air force has good planes but it takes more than a day to get rid of that canons and by that time northern part of Seoul will be wiped out.

5. jehan says:

…arvinsign erased my worries… joke…

it’s still scary for a first timer like me and my fellow foreign teachers…

6. elsa says:

I was about to go to my hagwon. late na dapat ako for my bus but because of the siren naabutan ko pa yung bus ko hehehe. nakatigil naman ang mga saksakyan pero ang mga tao naglalakad pa rin kaya nakilakad na rin ako. ^.^

7. arvinsign says:

In case of a Korean War episode II:

South Korea have US patriot missiles stationed (I saw some of them) in at least 2 or 3 US bases. Any missile launch from the North will be intercepted before it hits the ground. Besides NK is known for its faulty and inaccurate missiles. If it is aimed at Seoul, there’s a 50-60pct chance it will hit Jeju instead and vice versa, and 10 pct chance it will be rerouted to Manila maybe 🙂 (so warn everyone in pinas)

Also SK Navy (with its KDX destroyers) is gazillion times better than the NK navy (im actually wondering why they called it a Navy). NK Navy is made up of scrap metals floating in the Sea of Japan (i dont want to call it East Sea).

China will not come to the rescue of NK (its a suicide) and that would drag US and Japan to the war. Thats WW III in North East Asia.

If that will happen, NK will be pulverized in a few days, and China will play safe and pretend as if nothing happened.

Then there will be a unified Korea minus communism, and all of us can visit Baekdu san as often as we want.

8. wendy says:

While the NK threat seems so alarming, they are obviously making a lot of noise because of the new US presidency:-)

I remember last year, another expat wife (a Czech woman) and I, together with our toddlers were in Yeouido when air sirens were heard. We didn’t know what it meant and when it continued for some more minutes, we hurriedly walked back to the subway… nobody cared about it, we realized:-)

wendys last blog post..Golf… in the Philippines and Korea

9. arvinsign says:

Some of my american friends are joking that they dont need to worry in case of a war, since the Pacific fleet of the US Navy can dispatch a couple of huge ships to rescue all US citizens.

For Pinoy citizens, just wait (forever) for the Philippine Navy. Oh, and bring your own baon and life jacket, its (for sure) an ill equipped ship and the chance of it having enough resources and food is very very slim 🙂

For Pinoys with SK citizenship..well do your responsibility for your new country.

Seriously, this threat probably is just a hype. NK just want attention. KJI needs a new hairdo.

• cher says:

“For Pinoy citizens, just wait (forever) for the Philippine Navy. Oh, and bring your own baon and life jacket, its (for sure) an ill equipped ship and the chance of it having enough resources and food is very very slim”

—That’s funny, but seriously i’ve been thinking of what to do just in case…..knowing how the Philippine government works I bet it will take them ages to rescue Filipinos in Korea.

chers last blog post..Panic Attack

10. Betchay says:

in case of a war, i would want to be with my husband and son (and my parents-in-law too)…

• cher says:

in case of war….i told my husband i will try my best to bring them to the philippines(literally STRUGGLE our way out of KOrea)…..when i said THEM it includes my husband, my son, my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law and her husband…..guess what my husband asked me?”how about my father?”……I couldn’t give him an answer….I totally forgot about his father….bwahahahahaha.

chers last blog post..Panic Attack

11. moonlady says:

wow! is it still safe to visit SK now? haha! Maybe that’s why my bf just mentioned to me last night that anytime if NK will attack SK, he is always ready to fight..haha!
    then he asked me if I will do the same for Philippines or if Filipinos think the same way…
    I could not give an answer…^^

12. arvinsign says:

@ Betchay

“”there was a korean news report before saying that the average korean isn’t concerned about north korea (apathetic even)… “”

– i agree. Because the average korean is mostly concern only on any (or all) of the the following

Korean Men

1. Baseball and hoping to defeat and humiliate Japan
    2. Soccer and to defeat and humiliate Japan
    3. Dokdo..
    4. Dokdo….
    5. Dokdo…
    6. Drinking Soju and smoking
    7. Playing online games 24/7
    8. Discussion and exaggerating everything about Korea
    9. Thinking how to defeat Japan in all aspects (economics, technology etc)

for most of them, they still love their prodigal brothers from the north

Korean Women

1. Plastic Surgery
    2. Weight Loss
    3. Shoes, Bags
    4. K-pop ugh*ugh*
    5. Hair Salon and Nail Art

bwahahahaha… so true…

• cher says:

arvinsign: thanks for dropping by my blog,thanks for the korean war lecture too…..kkkkk…..but korean war is one thing i know, i hope it doesn’t sound like i’m bragging but i have a masters degree in korea studies(sometimes i think pursuing korea studies was not a good idea…..kkkkk).

chers last blog post..Under the Sea

13. mich says:

I was wondering what was that when I saw the kdrama On Air, didn’t realize that it is a regular occurance. Now that make sense. Thanks!

michs last blog post..Local Find: NYC

14. arvinsign says:

@ cher

you’re welcome :)..nice topic and blog you have there. Btw i replied to your post already, we can discuss further there (at least before the actual war happens 🙂 )

cheers

15. arvinsign says:

right now 2 US destroyer warships (Aegis system equipped)is in the Sea of Japan to shoot down any missile threats from NK. Also, 2 Japanese destroyers is on stand by for surveillance of NK missile activity. (please read details in Korea Times)http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2009/03/116_41715.html

We all know that NK is planning to launch a satellite on the 1st week of April, if it is indeed a missile launch test (instead of communications satellite) then its quite scary.

“Aegis” system is currently the most advanced and most sophisticated missile defense technology for Naval ships currently employed by the US Navy, UK, Japan as well as Korean Navy.

The Philippine Navy is employing a system of its own in its ships called the “Aging” system. That means no money for repair of ships, no logistics and no use 🙂