First sunrise

My husband woke up really early on the morning of New Year’s day. He went to Acha-san (Mt. Acha) amidst freezing temperatures as he’d like to see the first sunrise of the year. I didn’t accompany him. He forgot to bring the camera and he said there were hundreds of people there.

Later at night, video clips of people waiting for the first sunrise of the year at beaches in Gangwondo and in the mountains of Seoul were shown on the evening news. People were gushing over how beautiful the sunrise that day was and some were even shown with tears on their eyes.

Is the first sunrise so much better than other sunrises that people react so enthusiastically the way they did? Or is it because people take things for granted that they need a special day to remind them of the world around?

11 thoughts on “First sunrise

• January 2, 2009 at 2:37 pm

I agree with you..we sometimes forget that we should keep a good relationship with the things around us esp.with nature..as we should take care of it as well..so people get so emotional seeing we are still blessed with the beauty of nature itself..

• January 2, 2009 at 2:38 pm

hello betchay! Happy New year to you and your family. it’s really nice to see the first sunrise of the year, but unfortunately here in the Philippines, it was raining almost the whole week, until the 31st. kaya wala masyadong nagpapautok unlike the past years, christmas pa lang, maingay na. anyways, i wish you and your family good health, peace and love as always. *hugs*

• January 3, 2009 at 5:19 am

Heh, well maybe it has to do with 2008 being such a tough year that the promise of change is enough to bring tears?

You should have gone with your husband! lol
    Happy New Year!

• January 3, 2009 at 9:53 am

happy new year to you and your family! wishing you good health, more happiness and continued good luck not only in this 3 day old 2009 but in all the years to come. i find it stimulating reacting to your posts and thoughts(i.e.u.s. beef issue, educational system in korea, cultural differences etc.) you enable us to understand and appreciate our fave kdramas and movies.

• January 4, 2009 at 10:06 am

Happy New Year’s everyone. My name is Daniel Gray and I am
    a writer for an all English radio station in Korea, it’s called TBSefm and I am currently putting a story together that deals with Korea from a Filipino’s perspective.

Right now I have one guest about a woman married to a Korean and I am looking for another guest. If you are interested, please contact me.

Dan
    seouleats@gmail.com

• January 4, 2009 at 10:08 am

I am currently a writer for an all English radio station in Korea, it’s called Soul of Asia and I am currently putting a story together that deals with Korea from a Filipino’s perspective.

Right now I have a Filipino woman who is married to a Korean man that is going to be on the show and I am looking for one more Filipino person to be on the show. If you are interested, please contact me.

Dan Gray
    Writer for Soul of Asia

• January 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm

oh, i did this before, with my gradeschool batchmates… it was indeed beautiful waiting and watching for the first sunrise of the year…

jehans last blog post..My Dr. Jang

• January 5, 2009 at 12:53 pm

It’s really a big refreshment to see the first sunrise of the year. But you know, the perspective of people really differ. Mostly face the first sunrise as the first day of survival. Lucky you, you are surrounded with “positive” people.