The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince

If you have seen the Korean romance-comedy drama “The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince”, they this place should be familiar. I went there last Friday afternoon with some friends (and my son) after eating Chinese food at Yeonhui-dong. The place wasn’t difficult to find. We took the taxi 🙂 and asked to be taken to Sanullim Theater. Oh well, it isn’t really far from where we had lunch.

The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince is one of the most popular Korean dramas last year. It even earned its female lead, Yoon Eun Hye, the best actress trophy in this year’s Baeksang Awards. She and Gong Yoo also gained more CF because of the popularity of this drama.

We were excited when we got to the place, a two-storey building. The second floor is not open to customers though. The first thing you’ll notice is the raw finish. Some may like it (I did) and others may not. The walls are autographed by the stars, the staff and fans who visit the place. My friends even signed on the board near our table. The counter has espresso machines and lotsa other things that I really didn’t notice. 😀

I was shocked by the prices of the coffee! I don’t even go to Starbucks since I don’t really like fancy coffee. I like mine black with a hint of brown sugar. My friend ordered an ice caffe mocha for me. My son tried it and liked it. That was his first coffee.

The shop wasn’t full when we were there. There were less than twenty customers that time. Two were Japanese, three Chinese, three Pinoys and the rest were Koreans. Most took pictures. I don’t believe people go there for the coffee…

The staff was really nice. IMO, customer service in Korea is topnotch!They played the drama’s OST and that made my friends really “kilig”. They said it was a surreal experience and I’m glad they enjoyed it.

30 thoughts on “The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince

• May 8, 2008 at 12:55 pm

I was able to follow that movie here in the Philippines. It was a bit dragging towards the end. But it’s fun to watch.

• May 9, 2008 at 10:31 am

Hi

I am a publisher of THE EAST; the only English newspaper, which is mainly focused on the East Asian information (at the beginning of every month, more than 12,000 free copies are distributed throughout the London area, particularly, where East Asian Networks are established).

I looked at your blog the other day and have been wondering if there would be any chance that we could publish some of your interesting articles on the paper.
    We think some of your blog articles should be very helpful to the Westners who are interested in Asian Culture.
    The East cannot afford to pay for your articles right now (as we are non-profitable organisation). However, if you wish, we can still offer you:
    1. Advertising space
    2. Link to THE EAST web site blog section

We look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Hyung Wook Lee
    Publisher
    MBA(Edin)

THE EAST, The East Asian Monthly Business Newspaper,
    Elephant Consulting Limited, 37 Charter Court, Linden Grove,
    New Malden, Surrey, KT3 3BN, UK
    Tel : + 44 (0) 7912 608 321 / Web site: http://www.theeast.org / E mail : publisher@theeast.org
    Registered in England & Wales, Company No. 6254454

• May 9, 2008 at 11:03 am

you know sis it is the second time that coffee prince is running on Philippine TV, sa sobrang ganda ng koreanobela na yan e after the success on primetime slot e inulit sa hapon at sempre pinapanood ko pa din.. love the character andy kasi played by yoon eun hye.

• May 9, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Wow that coffee looks good! I have seen this telenovela when I was on vacation in th Ph. Ganda kaso di ko na nasubaybayan …I’ll ask my mom to get me a dvd siguro he he he.

• May 9, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Oh I just loved the drama…and you got to go see one of the locations. that’s awesome!

• May 10, 2008 at 1:52 pm

wow that place is cool! I haven’t seen coffee prince but I breezed through some eps while downloading it. I would love to go to that place

• May 10, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Oh, what a nice area! I do not like going to overpriced coffee shops like Starbucks myself because the quality is not worth $2! I can get the same thing for less than one dollar!

But, just like you did with this place, I go to Starbucks for the atmosphere and ambiance. I want to go there some day!

• May 14, 2008 at 6:17 pm

how i wish i can go there soon..

• May 15, 2008 at 11:33 am

@sherwin: keep visualizing going to Korea in your mind and it will soon come true. My cousin Angela and I spent two years dreaming, saving, and planning about it, and we just had the best two weeks in Seoul and Busan. Amazing place and so many wonderful people.

• May 15, 2008 at 1:10 pm

i haven’t seen the drama but it was fun going there… lalo na with Tesha and her cousin Angela… my son misses u guys!

@AzureWolf >> Starbucks is cheaper in the US and Japan. I wonder why it’s so expensive in Korea. I don’t go there unless I were invited.

• May 17, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Angela and I miss Song gyu a lot! I click on our Myeongdong UTour picture everyday at work 🙂

Re: Starbucks coffee, it is indeed expensive, and in fact I still feel guilty when I spend a substantive amount for coffee. But I really like their Arabian mocha beans and the atmosphere of the place. My friend Laya and I call Starbucks Sykes in Quezon City our happy place.

• June 9, 2008 at 8:13 am

woah! i’d like to go there too
    i love to drink coffee.. but i think their pricelist isn’t that affordable >_<

its more expensive than starbucks

i could avail it if i am that oppulent, but i’m not hehe

• August 5, 2008 at 11:47 pm

omo, i went here too! on my last day in seoul i woke my friend up and told her, “hey, you know that coffee prince place christine went to the other day? well…wanna go?” even though, i was against the idea before. (prior to my signing up for the exchange program i had no interest in koreanovelas. i do now! hehe. it keeps me connected with seoul.)

i agree with the insane prices. i think we paid around 7000 krw for hot chocolate. and the picture-taking embarrassed us because we were attempting not to look like tourists! (haha, pasimple, right?) there was this long-haired guy who noticed us anyway and beckoned us to take pictures since we “looked like we wanted to”. needless to say, it was the fastest i’ve ever taken pictures! haha. i did like the shop though, with all the random drawings and things. it was just really hard to get to! we got lost and had to ask a kind ajumma if she knew where it was. she just told us to follow a bus carrying a bunch of japanese ajummas who were SURELY going to the set. 🙂

• Pingback: Celeb Catch-up: Under-rated Lee Seon Gyun to star in I Feel Lucky - blog.us.cyworld.com

• Pingback: DIY Korea tour: The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince | Buhay sa Korea

• November 27, 2008 at 1:52 pm

Hahaha @ 7,000 Won for coffee. What is that, around 6 to 8 dollars American? Yup. That sounds about right in relation to Starbucks. I shell out around 7 dollars for a large.

• March 21, 2009 at 3:38 am

Starbucks (Korea) drinks are more expensive than here, and I’m still curious if Coffee Bean (Korea) is as same? I was on a time constraint and wasn’t able to visit one while traveling through Seoul. Can anyone over there tell me the price for a cup of Coffee Bean coffee? hehe.

• March 22, 2009 at 1:30 am

Every time some thing would remind me of coffee prince…i still feel sad about lee eon’s death…

• March 22, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Actually 7000won sounds about right since last time I was in Seoul regular mocha was $5.75 in 2005

• June 6, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Hi, I tried you go visit the Coffee Prince coffee shop last summer when I visited Korea but I was never able to find it.

Could you give me directions?

Thank you so much!!

• April 29, 2010 at 1:47 am

WOW!!! Coffee Prince shop would surely be 1st in our agenda!!! This drama turned my life around..especially after falling for Gong Yoo…& turned me into a KDrama Addict!!! I don’t mind paying that much, cuz it’ll surely make my dream( of setting foot in CP location) come true!!! Wonder how much that CP shirt costs?
    thanks for the pix…just got me all excited!!! can’t wait for July & our seoul trip of a lifetime!!!

• February 18, 2011 at 7:05 am

Thanks for the pictures and map (on your other blog entry). I found Coffee Prince on Hulu a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. So nice to see pictures of the location.

• February 26, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I really feel like watching this drama.. ca anyone tel me where can i watch online..

• March 11, 2011 at 1:54 am

speaking of Coffee…I had the most expensive coffee in my life worth 4200 won in Korea. Im not sure if its Coffebean something…. but its located somewhere in Insadong.With my Malaysian friend I ordered for hot mocha…but after less than a minute it turns into cold mocha hahahha.Anyway its winter season that time.

• September 27, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Do you have directions on how to go here? =)

• February 7, 2012 at 8:59 am

Hi, I’m going to SK soon. Just wondering if you can send me some info where the cafe’s located and how to get there. I really would love to go there since Yoon-eun Hye is one of my fav. Korean actresses and The coffee prince is one of my fav.KDrama. Thank you sooooooo much. 😀

• February 27, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Ate Betchay, I’m an avid fan of coffee shops. My ultimate favorite is Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf :)) Would it be ok for you to make a coffee tour blog of the ones you’ve visited in Korea? I saw one blog and was mesmerized by all the shops. It was so cute!

• February 29, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Hi angela! I’ve been planning that since I saw last week that new coffee shops have opened in our neighborhood. As in ang dami na rito!