Getting a cellphone in Korea

1. AzureWolf says:

I wanted the Viewty so badly, but alas, it is only available as an import, and costed $800. iPhone is not that much fun after the novelty of touching the screen wears off, but the rich color of the Viewty made me melt.

Are cellphones as necessary in Korea as they have become in the states? That’s a serious drag that you have to go through so much as a foreigner. And which service is the best (best reception)? Is it the most expensive one, or that just gives you the best phones?

2. chay says:

i have a cellphone Nokia 6020. i want to know if i can use it in south korea

• don says:

NO you can’t…your’s has a sim card and they don’t use them in S. Korea

• SAS says:

Actually she can. I have a Nokia E71 and it requires a USIM, if you sign with KT you can use your phone. Do some research online to see if anyone else has used your model. That’s how I knew mine would work. You will have to register your phone through the KCC website first but once that’s done you can take the phone w/the registration to a KT Global store and they will help.

3. Danerick says:

I have an iPhone and I was asking everywhere How can I get a Chip for my cellphone, but nobody knows what is a Chip :s, everybody has smartphone here but nobody can sell one. That’s weird :s

4. hazel says:

.wohh i like to go in korea i taught it’s easy but not.

1. October 12, 2009

[…] They’ll set you up with some of the basic necessities. National EPIK gave us opportunities to get a cell phone and set up a bank account, which are tough tasks if you don’t know any Korean. I’m not sure about the bank account, but I know that Gangwon EPIK, for example, doesn’t help out with the unfortunate cell phone process for foreigners in Korea. […]